Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Orange Chicken Stir Fry


Some people may find this disturbing...but I haven't tried Panda Express' Orange Chicken until this past year. Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of Chinese food until recently. Growing up I really despised white rice and I guess I just associated Chinese food with that and kind of stereo typically slashed out the entire Chinese cuisine. But, I finally took the plunge and started trying it more and really do love it now...especially Orange Chicken. Most of the time orange chicken is deep fried, but I wasn't in the mood for the mess of frying and decided to just do a quick stir fry with this ridiculous good orange sauce. 

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 2 1/12 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 4 teaspoons corn starch
  • 2  tablespoons water 
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • Vegetables of choice, for stir fry 
Directions

Pour 1 1/2 cups water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chopped green onion, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cool for 15 minutes. 

Place the chicken pieces in a large zip lock bag. When orange sauce has cooled. Pour 1 cup of sauce into bag, reserve remaining sauce. Seal the bag and refrigerate at least 1 hour. 

In a wok or dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken pieces and sautee  until almost cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. Then add in your vegetables (in my case I just did broccoli) and sautee for another 3-5 minutes. Add the reserved orange sauce to the chicken and vegetables and bring to a boil. Mix the 4 teaspoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl and mix into the orange sauce (This acts as a thickening agent). Stir until the sauce has thickened. Serve with Lee's Egg Rolls and garnish with more chopped onion. 

Song of the Recipe


One of my favorite bands, if you ever get a chance to see them live, do it they are amazing! Lee and I saw them in Chicago last year and we were those people smashed up on the front row. We couldn't hear afterwards and I almost got kicked in the face several times...But, we had a blast!


12 comments:

  1. Orange chicken looks delicious. Sure best when it homemade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of authentic Chinese food. I'm not a fan of Americanized version of Chinese food that is generally greasy and unhealthy. Panda Express is not Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I wrote this post I thought that I should go back through and be more specific. I totally agree that Panda Express is Americanized Chinese food, which has become it's on cuisine over the years. I guess that is pretty much the same with all international cuisine that finds it's way to America. For example, Olive Garden is not Italian food haha. While there are a lot of great authentic places in America....there are by far more Americanized versions of those places.

      Delete
  3. I guess its fair to associate Chinese food with rice since its our staple diet. But im glad that you are loving it now =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not alone. I've never been to Panda Express and rarely to never order takeout.
    Congratulations on a beautiful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please! There was a Panda Express near my college, I felt like it always had a ton of people around it waiting for the food. It ALWAYS smelled the same haha

    Your dish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stir fry looks delicious and tasty!Will be trying this out soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks good! ^^ will have to try this out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a major fan either but this could make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great and lovely. I have made chicken with oranges but it was more of stir fried.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That stir fry is very lovely! Can I add it some vegetables? I will show this to my wife so that she can cook this for our dinner. Thank you for sharing this nice recipe.

    http://beststirfryrecipe.blogspot.com/2013/04/chicken-stir-fry.html

    ReplyDelete